Wednesday 18 July 2012

Coconut carrot cake recipe, mmm... scrumptious!

Coconut carrot cake recipe on A CLIL TO CLIMB

I had some almonds and hazelnuts leftover from the chocolate cake I made almost a month and a half ago so I'd been thinking of baking another since then. Those of you who are following this blog and my Twitter account would probably have heard of (and seen) my healthy carrot cake recipe, so I thought I'd try to vary it a little and make it somewhat naughtier!

So, here goes.

Ingredients:

200g corn oil (you can use any vegetable oil or if you can handle the cholesterol, butter)
200g brown sugar (you can reduce this a little if you wish, to about 150-175g)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4 small eggs (approximately 55g each)
200g wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons (10g) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
50g dessicated coconut

200g carrots, grated
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves
150g almond-hazelnut mix, grounded

Procedure:

  1. Heat the oven to 180ºC and grease a cake tin with butter or oil.
  2. Pour the corn oil into a large bowl. If using butter, melt it gently and leave to cool before pouring it in.
  3. Stir in the sugar, vanilla essence, eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and the dessicated coconut.
  4. Mix it well.
  5. Add in the grated carrots, spices and the nuts.
  6. Blend it all thoroughly.
  7. Pour the mixture into the greased cake tin.
  8. Bake on a lower rack at 180ºC for about 40 minutes.
  9. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in there for a further 10 minutes.
  10. If an inserted skewer comes out clean, it's done.
  11. Leave to cool.
  12. When cool, slide a thin spatula along the edges to loosen the cake before attempting to remove it from the mould.
This turned out really good. My son thinks it's the best carrot cake I've done!

Enjoy!
Coconut carrot cake recipe on A CLIL TO CLIMB

  

10 comments:

  1. =O Google Translate needs to add another language. That is translation into US English! I would love to see this recipe using cups, US ingredients, and Fahrenheit degrees. Just kidding of course but still I'm reminded of more ways we challenge ELLs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting & commenting, Gail. I have the same problem when reading recipes in US sites ;)

      Delete
  2. I am a huge fan of almonds. I must try this. I have a lesson about recipes in my plan, so maybe my students can benefit from this post too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Katelin! Let us know if you try it! Have you seen this one - it's got almonds, too. ;)
      http://aclil2climb.blogspot.com.es/2010/07/dying-for-chocolate-here-one-cake-to.html

      Delete
  3. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox
    and now each time a comment is added I get three emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Thank you!
    Feel free to visit my web blog ... Health Benefits of Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I don't see your original comment. Second, I'm afraid I can't do anything at my end. If it's true that is actually happening, it must be some kind of temporary Blogger hitch.
      Regards,
      Chiew

      Delete
  4. Very nice explained recipe! It looks nice on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so freaking delicious. Wauw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake is very good!!! I like so much and I will try to cook it...thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.