Monday 12 October 2009

How to make Finger-Licking Succulent Chocolate Brownies!

Each time I make this, I get inundated (well, I do like a bit of exaggeration here and there!) with requests for the recipe, so I've decided to publish it here. It's a very simple recipe, and doesn't need much elaboration at all. If you follow my instructions to the letter, I'll guarantee that you'll be the toast of the party!

Don't forget to look at this post, too: Cooking Verbs

Ingredients:

200g dark chocolate (I use Nestlé dessert chocolate)
150g brown sugar
150g butter
150g wholemealflour (can be 75g white & 75g wholemeal)
150g walnuts, coarsely grounded
4 eggs
pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
vanilla essence (optional)
icing sugar

Procedure:

1. Melt chocolate together with the butter (à la bain-marie or in the microwave) in a fairly large mixing bowl. Let it cool a little.

2. Add sugar to this chocolate mixture, followed by the eggs and the salt. Mix well with a spatula. There isn't any need to beat or whisk the mixture.

3. Add the bicarbonate of soda to the flour and sieve them into the bowl, mixing continually. Add the walnuts and the vanilla essence.

4. Pour into a greased rectangular mould y bake in a preheated oven @ 175ºC for 30 mins.

Tip: maintain moisture in the oven by adding a small bowl of water.

5. Remove the mould from the oven and let it cool for several hours.

6. At this stage, the outside will be crusty, but the inside will be soft, almost uncooked. So, wait till it has cooled down sufficiently, then place it in the fridge. I normally leave it in the fridge overnight, but if you're in a hurry, several hours of refrigeration ought to be enough to solidify the middle a little.

7. Remove the cake from the mould, cut into small squares & sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve and bask in your newfound glory!

Do let me know of the outcome when you've tried it!

4 comments:

  1. I MUST CONFESS THAT PILAR GAVE ME THIS RECIPE SOME YEARS AGO AND THEY ARE DELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she now? I wonder how many have people have made them already! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chocolate, I think I would try to make it

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.