Wednesday 19 January 2011

Alone or Lonely? Have you got to be alone to feel lonely?

Celebrating Time Alone: Stories of Splendid SolitudeIf I say I'm alone, I mean that there isn't anyone else with me.

She's alone in the house tonight as the rest of her family has gone out.
I like to be alone sometimes.

Sometimes, we use 'on my own' instead.

You shouldn't go out on your own at this time of night.

These following sentences are all correct:

Sheila prefers running on her own.
Sheila prefers running alone.
Sheila prefers running by herself.

If I say I'm lonely, however, I feel unhappy because I'm alone, or because I have no friends.

Wikipedia: One way of thinking about loneliness is as a discrepancy between one's desired and achieved levels of social interaction.

So, you could be in a room full of people, but yet feel lonely because no one is talking to you.

Sarah feels very lonely after her husband left her.

Lonesome is a synonym for lonely, although it's more common in US English.

Remember Elvis? Are you lonesome tonight? Do you miss me tonight?

Listen to this tremendously moving song by Ben Harper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.