Wednesday 10 November 2010

How to make a telephone call (games & activities)

Last published on 15 Nov 2009. This version has been reworked and supersedes the older version.

       

Chiew's ESL EFL CLIL Dialogue Telephone Games Activities
Chiew's ESL EFL CLIL Dialogue Telephone Games Activities






























Do you have trouble making a telephone call in English? Do you get nervous when you don't understand the person on the other end? Are you familiar with most of  the basic telephone language? In this post, I will  try to help you improve your telephone skills by looking at the most common words and expressions used in telephone conversations followed by some practice. If you have any doubts, please don't hesitate to ask.

Watch this short video and see if you can understand some of the vocabulary used. Then, study the list below, and watch the video again, if necessary.



The problem facing learners in understanding telephone conversations, apart from a general weakness in listening skills, is that there are many ways of saying the same thing, and often, the learner gets confused. Here, I will explain some of the most common words and expressions which you should try to learn.

Then watch the video below, and try to fill in the gaps in the lyrics. After that, play the two matching games (click on the images at the beginning of this post). The first is a telephone conversation of someone making an appointment with her hairdresser. The second one is slightly more challenging. For teachers, the idea is for the students to practice matching the dialogue first. Once they get that, you can then have them role play the situation, making some changes, if you like.

Crucial vocabulary

answer (to pick the phone up when it rings)
answering machine (a machine that answers your telephone and records messages that people leave for you)
busy (if someone's telephone is busy, they are using the phone when you try to call)
call (= ring, phone, telephone; make a call)
caller (the person making the call)
call back / phone back (to telephone someone again)
cell phone (= mobile phone)
cordless phone (a phone which works without a cable connecting the phone to the electric supply)
dial (to press the buttons on the phone to make a call)
dial tone (the sound which the phone makes when you pick the phone up. Note that most modern phones no longer have this.)
directory / telephone directory / phone book (a book containing names, addresses and phone numbers)
hang up (to end a call)
phone (see 'call' above)
phone booth / pay phone / call box (a public telephone where you put in money to make a call)
pick up (to answer the phone)
receiver (the part of the phone you pick up to hear and speak, especially on an old-fashioned phone)
ring (noun: the sound the phone makes, or verb: to make a call)

Answering the phone

Hello?
Pizzie's Pizza, how can I help you?
The English Academy, good evening, Paul speaking.

Introducing yourself

Hi Linda, it's me, George.
Hello, this is Julie calling.
Good morning, it's Jane from the hairdresser's here.
This is him / Speaking / You're speaking to him (These are expressions used when the caller asks to speak to you, but didn't realise that you were the one he wanted to speak to)

Asking to speak to someone

Informal

Is Jane in, please?
Is Jane there, please?
Can I speak to your mother, please?

Formal

May I speak to Dr. Jones, please?
Is the doctor available, please?
Good afternoon, I'd like to make an appointment.
Could you put me through to the accounts department, please?

Putting someone through

Just a sec (=second). I'll get him. (informal)
Hang on one sec / Hang on a mo (= moment) (informal)
Please hold the line; I'll put you through to his office.
One moment please.

Having problems understanding

Could you spell that for me, please?
Could you speak a little slower, please?
Could you please repeat that?
I'm sorry. My English isn't so good - could you speak a little clearer, please?

Messages

Julie isn't in, I'm afraid. Who's this? (Informal)
I'm sorry, but Pedro isn't available right now. Can I take a message?
He's busy right now. Would you like to leave a message?

Yes, can you tell her that her husband called?
No, that's all right; I'll call back.
Yes, could you take my number down, please? It's José from the Jules Academy.My number is ...




ELO - Telephone Line

Hello, how are you?
Have you been all right,
Through all the lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely nights,
That's what I'd say, I'd tell you everything,
If you'd pick up that _________ .

Hey, how you feelin'?
Are you still the same?
Don't you realise the things we did, we did,
Were all for real, not a dream,
I just can't believe,
They've all faded out of view

Doo wop, dooby dooby wop,
Doo wop, do la la la la la,
Blue Days, black nights,
Doo wop, do la la la la la

I look into the sky,
(The love you need ain't gonna see you through),
And I wonder why,
(The little things are finally coming true)

_________ line, give me some time,
I'm living in twilight,
Oh, _________ line, give me some time,
I'm living in twilight

OK, so no one's_________,
Well can't you just let it ____ a little longer, longer, longer?
I'll just sit tight, through the shadows of the night,
And let it ____ for evermore

Doo wop, dooby dooby wop,
Doo wop, do la la la la la,
Blue Days, black nights,
Doo wop, do la la la la la

I look into the sky,
(The love you need ain't gonna see you through),
And I wonder why,
(The little things are finally coming true)

_________ line, give me some time,
I'm living in twilight,
Oh, _________ line, give me some time,
I'm living in twilight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.